How to Make Simple and Super Tasty Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
If you have been following along for a while you might have noticed that I have a thing for peanut butter. I love it in cookies, cupcakes, and ohmigosh it is amazing in fudge.
There is something about the combination of peanut butter and chocolate that can’t be beaten in my book. Not surprisingly, my absolute favorite Christmas cookie is a combination of the two. These simple cookies come together in minutes and are a great way to celebrate the season. (or any season. Peanut butter doesn’t need a reason to be celebrated lol)
The technique used is what makes these cookies so special. A simple run through sugar gives them the characteristic texture. You can easily make this cookie even more festive by using colored sugar such as green, red, or both! Heck, you could make them pink if you’re having a pinktastic holiday party!
It is important to keep your balls of cookie dough equal in size. This will help to keep the texture inside the cookie even throughout the batch. If you prefer more of a soft and chewy cookie you can make the balls of dough about 1 and a half inches. If you prefer crispier cookies you can aim for closer to an inch or less.
You don’t want to add the Hershey’s kisses until the cookies come out of the oven. However, you don’t want to wait too long either or you won’t get a good crackling when you crush them down slightly.
Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie Recipe
This recipe is a great one to make with kids because it is SO simple! It’s also just a fun one to put together, especially for little people who like to get their hands in everything!
1/2 C date sugar ( or brown sugar)
1/2 C pure cane sugar ( plus about 1/2 C to 1 C more for outer coating)
1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
1/2 C natural peanut butter
1 1/2 C organic flour ( or all purpose flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
24 – 36 Hershey Kiss candies
- Combine the peanut butter, butter, and both sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer. Blend until smooth. This usually takes about 2 minutes or so.
- Add the egg to the blender and mix until combined into the sugar mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly pour the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and blend until just combined.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for around 30 minutes. We don’t quite want it as firm as a cutout sugar cookie dough, but we do want it to keep its shape well.
- Pour your extra sugar (or colored sugar) into a shallow dish while your dough is chilling.
- Form 1 inch or slightly larger balls of dough and roll into sugar to coat completely. Place 2 inches apart on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a 375-degree oven. Place a Hershey’s Kiss into the top of each cookie. Press down slightly so that the edges of the cookie begin to crackle apart.
- Let the cookies cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack.
These cookies are a great option to bring to holiday parties, bake sales, or just the living room for a Christmas movie. They are always a hit!
Do you want to be the first to know when we have a new recipe available? Join our mailing list for all of our latest fresh recipes, fun DIY projects, health and wellness information, and much more!